Do You Need A Pinhole Gum Graft?

kaniapinholegumgraftMillions of people in the United States suffer from a serious oral health concern known as periodontal disease. Without treatment, this disease can lead to the onset of adult tooth loss and other uncomfortable complications. We can help address the issue with a unique treatment option. Do you need a pinhole gum graft?

Frequently Asked Questions About Pinhole Gum Grafts

Question: When do you need treatment?

Answer: Treatment is typically recommended for those who suffer from gum recession. A variety of factors can lead to receding gums, however, the most common causes are thin biotype (thin tissue) and aggressive brushing. Along with receding gingival tissue, symptoms to watch for include cold sensitivity, soreness, redness in the gums, or bleeding when you brush or floss.

Question: How does the PST technique work?

Answer: This treatment offers a more conservative alternative to common periodontal treatments, such as gum grafting. With the Pinhole Surgical Technique, the doctor makes a small hole in the gums, the size of a needlepoint. The doctor then manipulates the tissue to correct recession and other issues. In addition, a biocompatible collagen agent is inserted, filling the space between gingival tissue and the roots, which helps heal the area and allow healthy tissue to attach to the teeth.

Question: What are the benefits?

Answer: There are a number of benefits, including cosmetic improvement, arresting further breakdown, no need for scalpels or sutures, preservation of natural gum tissue, and reduced risk of periodontal problems.


As a board-certified periodontist, Dr. Ann M. Kania is specially qualified to diagnose and treat issues concerning periodontal tissue and the supportive structures of a patient’s smile, as well as place dental implants to restore teeth lost to dental disease or trauma. Dr. Kania also offers the Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST) for minimally-invasive, scalpel-free gum grafting. To seek Dr. Kania’s expertise, contact her office today at (760) 642-0711.