According to the Centers for Disease Control, half of all adults in the United States over the age of 30 experience the symptoms of gum disease. In addition to bad breath and bleeding, periodontal disease can progress and eventually lead to adult tooth loss. In order to protect the beauty and overall health of your smile you should take steps to avoid the issue altogether. There are a number of tips for avoiding gum disease completely.
Avoid Gum Disease in San Diego, CA
- Quit Using Tobacco Products: Smoking or the use of tobacco products can worsen symptoms and increase the risk of periodontal disease. In addition, smoking can increase the risk of oral cancer and unsightly teeth stains.
- Brush and Floss Your Teeth Everyday: When you brush and floss you remove food from between the teeth. Doing so prevents bacteria from breaking these particles down and coating the teeth in a layer of plaque. With plaque buildup you increase the risk of gum disease as a result of inflammation. You should brush your teeth twice a day and floss once a day.
- Undergo Dental Cleanings Regularly: A dental cleaning is the only way to completely remove plaque from your teeth. You should have your teeth cleaned as directed by Dr. Kania.
- Recognize the Early Warning Signs: If you experience sore or red gums that bleed easily, receding gums, chronic bad breath then you may be experiencing the onset of gum disease. You should see a dental professional as soon as possible.
- Be Aware of Possible Causes: Possible factors behind periodontal disease include lack of professional care, poor oral hygiene, certain medications, hormonal fluctuations, chronic illness, genetics and tobacco use. Understanding the cause of your symptoms can help a dental professional treat the issue.
ABOUT YOUR SAN DIEGO, CA, LASER PERIODONTIST:
To learn how to keep your teeth and gums healthy for life, subscribe to this blog, and visit Dr. Kania for a consultation. As a board-certified periodontist, Dr. Ann M. Kania is specially qualified to diagnose and treat issues concerning periodontal tissue and the supportive structures of a patient’s smile, as well as place dental implants to restore teeth lost to dental disease or trauma. Dr. Kania also offers the Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST) for minimally-invasive, scalpel-free gum grafting. To seek Dr. Kania’s expertise, contact her office today at (760) 642-0711.